BlueRock Diamonds plc
BlueRock Diamonds, a company incorporated in England and Wales, was established in October 2012 to acquire or invest in under exploited diamond mines in South Africa and sub Saharan Africa. BlueRock was admitted to trading on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange (BRD: LN) in September 2013.
Currently, BlueRock has the mining right to and operates a mine at the Kareevlei Tenements which covers 3,000 ha.
Black Economic Empowerment
The South African mining industry is subject to black economic empowerment requirements which arise from the equality provisions of the Constitution and the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act. The DMR has published and implemented the Broad Based Socio-Economic Empowerment Charter, September 2010 (“Mining Charter”) which is applicable to all mining companies operating within South Africa. The most significant element of the Mining Charter is the ownership requirement which stipulates that mines must commit to obtaining 26%. effective ownership by historically disadvantaged South Africans (“HDSAs”) by 2014.
Kareevlei Mining is 74% owned by BlueRock, with the remaining 26% owned by a Kimberley based company, Ghaap Mining (Pty) Limited (“Ghaap Mining”). Ghaap Mining is a South African private company wholly owned by Mr. William Alexander van Wyk who, in terms of South African legislation is considered to qualify as an HDSA.